Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever before have many new techniques and scientific developments emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers millions of people the chance to reduce or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Find out who will actually do your treatment, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician will not inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely disinfected, he said and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than professional care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Beware of any medical more helpful hints professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for a lot of people, other a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of millions of people worldwide.